Legal Lawyer in DELHI NCR for
Registration under Special Marriage Act-1954
For Registration of Marriages which have already been solemnized, following documents are required:
- Application form duly signed by both husband and wife.
- Documentary evidence of date of birth of parties (Matriculation Certificate / Passport / Birth Certificate). Minimum age of both parties is 21 years for male and 18 years for female, at the time of registration under the Special Marriage Act / Hindu Marriage Act.
- Ration card of husband or wife, at least one should be resident of Delhi for 30 days.
- Affidavit by both the parties stating place and date of marriage, date of birth, marital status at the time of marriage and nationality.
- Three passport size photographs of both the parties and one marriage photograph.
- Marriage invitation card.
- If marriage was solemnized in a religious place, a certificate from the priest is required who solemnized the marriage.
- Affirmation that the parties are not related to each other within the prohibited degree of relationship as per Special Marriage Act. For details of such relationships please read below at end.
- Attested copy of divorce decree/order in case of a divorcee and death certificate of spouse in case of widow/widower.
For registration under Special Marriage Act :
Both parties are required to be present after submission of documents for issuance of public notice inviting objections. One copy of notice is pasted on the notice board of the office and copy of the notice is sent to both parties. Registration is done 30 days after the date of notice after deciding any objection that may have been received during that period by the Marriage Officer. Both parties along with three witnesses are required to be present on the date of registration.